Eboli-Campania-Italy


Real estate in this town  Holidays in this town



  • download

The town is located about 18 km from the sea.

History
The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the discovery of a Neolithic mummy in resort Golden Horn.
Rich in archaeological remains found in different sites spread over the hills (there are many funerary finds dating Eneolithic and the Bronze Age, found on Montedoro) in Eboli is established in the following centuries the presence of Villanovan Civilization. As of the end of the fifth century BC will be flourishing trade relations between the Etruscans to the north and the Greek south, so that Eboli became a center of reference for the tribes lucane hinterland, as witnessed by the numerous cemeteries scattered around the perimeter of the old town. With the arrival of the Romans and the construction of the Via Popilia (which linked Capua to Reggio Calabria) Eburum became an important and thriving craft and trade, as evidenced by the remains of an ancient workshop area (dated III-II century BC) dedicated to ceramic production, thanks to the presence of three Roman furnaces (one small, one medium and one large) located a few steps from the sanctuary of SS. Cosmas and Damian. "... Terra antiqua, potens armis atqve Ubere glebae ..." so he speaks Virgil in the Aeneid. The fourth century A.D. It is the Roman villa discovered in locations Fontanelle, that is less than a kilometer from the center. A witness to the vitality of this center, the Romans granted to Eburum the legal status of Municipium, that its citizens were fledged Roman citizens but retained the right to govern itself by its own laws, as evidenced by the stele eburina (now kept at the archaeological museum of the middle valley of the Sele). The pedestal of a statue to the time dedicated to the consul Titus Flavius Silvanus, found in the basement of the ancient church of Santa Maria in Intra in the historic center, presents below an inscription in Latin (a Latin imperfect, or perhaps already mixed with elements of vulgar) that defines "Eburum, Roman municipium".

Fundamental was the reclamation carried out under fascism, which took away the marshes and swamps large areas of arable land, and that gave way to the final development of the town towards the plain, then that still had its center at the foot of the hill area, site of a medieval village. The city is also known for being the site of a bellicose speech of Benito Mussolini just before the War of Ethiopia (speech that the dictator himself remember the beginning of the Italian campaign of Greece).

• Palace Martucci (XV century).
• Palazzo de consulibus (XVI century).
• Palazzo Paladino La Francesca (XV century).
• Roman Palace Cesareo (XII century).
• Campaign Palace (XVI century).
• Roman Palace (XIX century).
• Novella Palace (XV century).
• Corcione Palace (XV century).
• Palazzo Zuccaro (XIX century)
• Colonna Castle (XI century) .or Norman
]
• Abbey of San Pietro alli Marbles (1076).
• Sanctuary of Saints Cosma and Damiano (Eboli) (twentieth century).
• Church of SS. Cosmas and Damian (1771).
• Monastery of St. Anthony Abbot (XIV century).
• Church of San Biagio (XIV century).
• Collegiate Church of Santa Maria della Pietà (XII century).
• Church of San Nicola de Schola Graeca (XII century).
• Church of S.S. Trinity - the Shrine of St. Anthony of Padua (XII century).
• Monumental Complex of San Francesco (XIII century).
• Parish of St. Bartholomew (1179).
• Church of San Vito al Sele.
• Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
• Church of Santa Maria of Constantinople.
• Monastery of Saint Anthony or Vienne, before Santa Caterina.
• Church of Santa Maria del Castello.
• Church of Santa Maria a Mare.
• Church of the Madonna della Catena.
• Church of Santa Maria di Monte Suevo.
• Church of Santa Maria di Loreto.
• Church of Santa Maria in Intra.
• Church of Santa Maria del Soccorso.
• Church of the Holy Spirit.
• Church of the Cemetery (1931).
• Church of St. Anne.
• Church of Santa Maria del Carmine.
• Church of Our Lady of Grace.
• Benedictine Monastery Of The Clausura.
• Parish of St. Mary of Mount Carmel and St. Eustace in St. Francis.
• Church of St. John of Jerusalem.
• Monument to the fallen in the square of the Republic (1924)
• Lions square of the Republic (1872)
• Monument to Vincenzo Giudice, Marshal of the Guardia di Finanza, the victim of retaliation Nazi-Fascist
• Cloister of San Francesco.
• Monument to Carlo Levi along the avenue Amendola.
• Monument to Baron Matteo Ripa, missionary and sinologist.
• Monument to Colonel Calo.
• Roman villa of the imperial era in places Paterno.
• Two sections of walls of the fourth century BC
• Area artisan IV-II century BC SS in the area. Cosmas and Damian.
• Roman aqueduct on Montedoro.
• Roman kilns
Natural areas]
• Nature Reserve Foce Sele - Tanagro, Site of Community Importance IT 8050010 including the coastal bands on the right and left of the river Sele and the Tyrrhenian coast.
• Protected Area dune Legambiente Silaris, including part of the Natural Reserve Foce Sele - Tanagro.
• Natural Area of San Miele
• Nature Park City San Donato
• Path of the Mills: nature trail and archaeological along 358 m so named for its mills and crushers.
• Path of the Acropolis: nature trail along 1190 m ..
• Trail San Donato.
• Cave Cozzolino
• Cave Tyrant
• Cave of the Dead
• Grottone of Eboli
• Cave of Jacob
• Cave of the Three Inputs

Infrastructure and transport
Roads
• motorway exit of the A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria Eboli;
• Highway 18 Tirrena Inferiore road that passing through the towns of the Golden Horn, Cioffi and Santa Cecilia, linking the territory to Cilento;
• Highway 19 in Calabria, the main link with Battipaglia and Alburni;
• Highway 91 in the Valle del Sele, road that begins in the resort and connects with Epitaph Country;
• Provincial Road 8 Bellizzi (torrent Vallimonio) -Innesto 135 SP-312 SP-Graft Graft SS 18;
• Provincial Road 30, Plug SP-175 Quadrivio S.Cecilia-Graft Bivio SS18-SP-308 Eboli, the main link between Eboli and the coast;
• Provincial Road 350, grafting SP 29 / a-Eboli, connection between Eboli and Olevano Romano;
• Provincial Road 175a, Fuorni-SP-30 until the beginning of the viaduct over the river Sele, the road parallel to the coast;
• Provincial Road 195, 18-Graft Graft SS SP 30;
• Provincial Road 204, SP 195-Graft Graft SP 308-Graft SS 18;
• Provincial Road 262, 18-Graft Graft SS SP 175;
• Provincial Road 308, SP 204-Graft Graft SP 30;
• Provincial Road 312, 18-Graft Graft SS 8 SP-417 SP-Graft Graft SP 175;
• Provincial Road 317 Falagato-Corneto;
• Provincial Road 412, Water of Poplars;
• Provincial Road 413, SP 417-Graft Graft SP 175;
• Provincial Road 416, SP 417-Graft Graft SS 18 (Eboli);
• Provincial Road 417, grafting SP 275 (loc. Picciola) -Bivio SP 262 (loc. Campolongo) -up Graft SP 30 (Eboli);
• Provincial Road 426, Serracapilli.
Railways
• Station on the railroad Eboli Salerno-Power.
• Station of San Nicola Varco on the Tyrrhenian Southern Railway.